pp. 13.5x6.5 cm (5¼x2½") red cloth lettered in gilt.
Guy Smith was apparently a short-time miner, or little interested in paying his dues - only May and June, 1915, are marked as paid, with a red stamp. The Snowball Miner's Union No. 124 W.F.M. was located at what is now the ghost town Gold Road (Goldroad), near the town of Oatman. Also included is a membership card in the San Francisco County Building Trades Council, made out to an F.M. Smith (relationship to Guy Smith unknown), dated 1913.
Goldroad was once a haven for miners. Over $7,000,000 worth of gold was mined from 1903-1931. Originally located by Jose Jerez in 1899, the mine was sold in 1901 and work continued for the next 30 years. One of the original owners, Henry Lovin, stayed in the are after selling and founded the Goldroad Club and a general merchandise and freighting company. At one time there was over 400 people living at Goldroad, today there is nothing but foundations.
The Gold Road Mine peaked during 1905 and 1906, but the following year the rich veins began to give out and the mine closed. It was estimated that more than two million dollars in ore was taken from the mine during its short duration. However, the immediate area surrounding Gold Road continued to be a haven for other miners until 1931. In total, the district took in over seven million dollars worth of gold over this period. Now are only ruins standing as an evidence of once busy town. Goldroad post office opened on April 15, 1902 and closed on October 15, 1942